Sunday, October 18, 2009

thE circle of life

Pepe is a friend of mine. He's scruffy, and short and absolutely loves tomatoes. Something else, he absolutely hates getting his feet wet. When outside, if the grass is wet or even lightly dewy, he will stay on the sidewalk or driveway, never venturing into the grass... he's just picky that way.

Even when its bathroom time, if the grass is wet, too bad mister concrete, you're getting shat upon. That's right, Pepe is a dog, and when the grass is wet he will do his business on the sidewalks. So, imagine my surprise the other day when I noticed three tomato plants growing in the crack between the sidewalk and the grass. What's up with that, I thought. Then it occurred to me... I sweep his leavings to the verge. In the fullness of time, three seeds, having survived Pepe's GI tract, have sprung to life. Pre-fertilized.

The bad news? Autumn is beginning to settle in; colder temperatures and colder winds. Those three hapless seeds picked a bad time to demonstrate the wonderful circle of life.

Come spring I intend to let Pepe gorge on Roma tomatoes, then take him out to the garden where he'll be allowed to poo to his heart's content, saving me the trouble of planting. Let nature take its course.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have anything nice to say, please move on. Otherwise feel free.

 
Share