Tuesday, March 30, 2010

grok thE Naybob

Remember Spiro T. Agnew? Beuller? Anyone? He was once Vice President to Richard Nixon, perhaps best known for describing Nixon's critics in the media as "nattering nabobs of negativism." Well, I, even I, ELAshley, have my own personal 'Nabob' in the person of a man we'll call Grok. No matter what I show Grok-- flash ad, website, billboard, whatever --he has something negative to say about it...

...it's too fast, I'd use a different font, why did you use those colors? it looks 'kiddie,' it'll distract from all the other ads around it...


...all this while proudly showing off his own work, expecting only praise!

Well, good for him. I'm giving up showing him any of my work. Let him discover my work online like everyone else.

Grok's usually helpful when I have questions, though I've been instructed to not ask his help (long story, and not to the point), but he seems threatened by just about everything I do. He needn't worry-- he's years ahead of me on After Effects, and I'm not competing for his job. I should point out that he's admitted to wishing he still had my position, so perhaps that's it.

Either, or, I'm tired of sharing anything with him. My boss is pleased with my work, as are the clients, and that's what's important.

Speaking of competition, there was a time some seven years back when both he and I were tasked to design some large-format banners for a mobile set; backdrops for anchors (you know, talking heads at a local news station). Grok and I submitted our finished designs to the GM in a pseudo-public meeting, and his design was rejected... it was too "busy"... a cacophony of lines and distubia. Mine was simple and colorful. The banners cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,400 to print and were used for only 9 days during the National Peanut Festival here in Southeast Alabama.

Grok is a whiz with computers, but prior to a couple of years ago his design ability was unremarkable-- that is to say, he had occasional bursts of inspiration but in the long run he was... well... unremarkable. He has improved of late, but it's more the inspiration of others; what he has seen others do and emulated. Me? I won't brag here... except to say I have ALWAYS been creative. Always. It's one of my higher purposes in this life. I'm sure Grok has higher purposes in his life as well, but...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have anything nice to say, please move on. Otherwise feel free.

 
Share